Syllabus of Btech in Biotechnology – B Tech Biotechnology is a degree program that combines biology and chemical engineering principles to make use of living organisms in various fields like medicine, technology, and engineering. The program includes subjects like Nanobiotechnology, genomics, base drug design, and bioinformatics, which prepare students for various biotechnology-related careers.
Students opting for BTech Biotechnology with research will get hands-on experience in real research projects, which will help them develop technical and analytical skills. They will also have the opportunity to publish research papers and patents in their names.
This degree program is highly flexible and equips graduates with the technical, analytical, and professional skills required for various biotechnology-related professions. Graduates will gain experience in working on individual projects and exposure to industrial and research environments.
Syllabus of Btech in Biotechnology
B.Tech Biotechnology is a course that combines applied biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, and other subjects. It is a highly sought-after course as graduates have many career opportunities in industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, bio-products, textiles, medicine, nutrition, and more. Job roles for B.Tech Biotechnology graduates range from quality analyst, and microbiologist to research scientist in both private and public sectors.
The B.Tech Biotechnology course is of 8 semesters, and the first two years cover general subjects while the next two years focus on specialized topics. Aspirants have the option to choose their electives. Projects, assignments, and other practical work are also part of the curriculum. Here’s a breakdown of the semester-wise distribution of the B.Tech Biotechnology course:
B Tech Biotechnology Course Details
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology|
|B Tech Biotechnology Eligibility||The candidate must have passed the 10+2 examination from the science stream with subjects Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology from a recognized board.|
|Average Salary||INR 5-8 LPA|
|Course Fee||INR 1.2 to 10.5 LPA|
B Tech Biotechnology is an undergraduate program that focuses on the application of technology in the field of biology. The course duration is four years, and the examination type is semester-based.
The eligibility criteria for this course require candidates to have passed the 10+2 examination from the science stream with subjects Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology from a recognized board. The admission process is entrance-based, which means that candidates need to appear for an entrance exam and qualify for the same to secure admission into this course.
The average salary of a B Tech Biotechnology graduate in India is INR 5-8 LPA, and the course fee ranges from INR 1.2 to 10.5 LPA, depending on the institute or university offering the course.
Overall, B Tech Biotechnology is an excellent course for students who are interested in the field of biology and want to explore the various applications of technology in the same.
B Tech Biotechnology Syllabus: Semester Wise
The table below lists the important details of the courses offered in a four-year undergraduate program in engineering. The program is divided into eight semesters, and each semester has a set of courses that students must take. The table includes the name of the course, the semester in which it is offered, and any important details about the course.
B Tech Biotechnology Semester 1, Semester 2 Syllabus
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Physics||Principles of Environmental Science|
|Mathematics I||Basics of C programming|
|Engineering Mechanics||Mathematics II|
|Personality Development I||Personality Development II|
|NCC / NSS / NSO & YOGA (Elective)||Computer Lab|
|Physics Lab||Workshop Practice|
|Chemistry Lab||Electronic Devices Lab|
|Engineering Graphics||Electrical Machines Lab|
|Workshop Practice||Materials Science|
B Tech Biotechnology Semester 3, Semester 4 Syllabus
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|German or Japanese or French Language I||German or Japanese or French Language II|
|Mathematics III||Probability and Random Process|
|Fluid Mechanics||Sensors and Measuring Techniques|
|Basic Biochemistry||Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology|
|Digital Systems||Linear Integrated Circuits|
|Circuits & Networks||Bio Analytical Techniques|
|Personality Development III||Signals and Systems|
|Electric and Electronic Circuits Lab||Biochemistry Lab|
|Fluid Mechanics Lab||Linear Integrated Circuits Lab|
|Digital Systems Lab||Sensors and Measurements Lab|
B Tech Biotechnology Semester 5, Semester 6 Syllabus
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Engineering Economics and Management||Medical Imaging Techniques|
|Control Systems||Bio-Signal Processing I|
|Principles of Communication Engineering||Basic Pathology and Basic Microbiology|
|Introduction to Medical Physics||Biomaterials and Artificial Organs|
|Microprocessors and Microcontrollers||Diagnostic Ultrasound in Medicine|
|Biomedical Instrumentation||Elective- I|
|Personality Development IV||Bio- Signal Processing Lab|
|Biomedical Instrumentation Lab||Pathology and Microbiology Lab|
|Industrial Training I||Comprehension II|
|Microprocessor and Microcontroller Lab||Personality Development V|
|Comprehension I||Computer skills|
B Tech Biotechnology Semester 7, Semester 8 Syllabus
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Medical Image Processing||Elective IV|
|Diagnostic and Therapeutic Equipment||Elective V|
|Virtual Instrumentation||Project Work|
|Elective III||Elective II|
|Advanced Biochemistry||Bio-Signal Processing II|
|Medical Image Processing Lab||Elective VI|
|Virtual Instrumentation Lab||Advanced Medical Physics|
|Industrial Training II||–|
- Each semester has a set of mandatory and elective courses that students must take.
- Some courses have a corresponding laboratory component, where students perform experiments and apply the concepts learned in the course.
- The program also includes personality development courses that aim to enhance students’ soft skills and communication abilities.
- Industrial training provides students with the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting.
- In the last semester, students are required to complete a project that showcases their ability to apply their knowledge and skills to solve a real-world problem.
B.Tech Biotechnology Subjects
B.Tech Biotechnology is a 4-year undergraduate program that combines biological sciences with technology. The course includes core and elective subjects, as well as projects and internships, to provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject. Here is a table summarizing important details of B.Tech Biotechnology:
|Course Name||B.Tech Biotechnology|
|Course Duration||4 years|
|Course Structure||Core and Elective Subjects, 4 Semesters, Projects, Research Papers, Surveys, Seminars, Practicals, Thesis Writing|
|Core Subjects||Human Biology, Cell Biology and Biological Systems, Chemistry, Structural Biochemistry, Biological Chemistry, Plant Science, Microbiology, Protein Science, Molecular Genetics, Metabolism, Immunology, Organic Chemistry, Environmental Microbiology, Genomics and Bioinformatics, Food Microbiology|
|Lab Subjects||Human Biology, Cell Biology and Biological Systems, Chemistry, Structural Biochemistry, Biological Chemistry, Plant Science, Microbiology, Protein Science|
|Elective Subjects||Introduction to Bioinformatics, Proteomics, Biomolecular Modelling, Molecular Biology of the cell, Cell and Tissue Culture Technology, Genomics, Immunotechnology, Introduction to Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Food Biotechnology, Introduction to Plant Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology, Drug Design and Delivery, Bioethics and Biosafety|
|Teaching Methodology||Classroom teaching, real-world application of knowledge through case study projects, Discussions, Field trips, Practical Learnings, Problem-based, Projects, E-learning, Co-curricular activities|
|Projects||Production of Ethanol using Molasses and its Pollutant Treatment, Scattering Parameters of Circulator Biotechnology, Various Methods of Evapotranspiration, Renewable Energy Technology Management Promoting Village|
B.Tech Biotechnology is a challenging and exciting field that offers a wide range of opportunities for those who wish to pursue a career in this area. The course structure and subjects provide students with a solid foundation in biological sciences, and the elective subjects offer them the flexibility to specialize in specific areas of interest.
The teaching methodology and techniques used by colleges help students develop practical skills and prepare them for the real-world challenges of the biotech industry. The projects offered in this field also allow students to apply their knowledge to real-world problems, thereby boosting their confidence and leadership abilities.
B.Tech Biotechnology Reference Books
Step 1: Understand what B.Tech Biotechnology is B.Tech Biotechnology is an undergraduate course that teaches students about biological processes and their applications in various fields like healthcare, agriculture, and environmental sciences.
Step 2: Know the importance of reference books Reference books are important for B.Tech Biotechnology students as they provide detailed information and insights into various topics related to their course. These books can help them understand complex concepts and prepare for exams.
Step 3: Get to know the popular reference books for B.Tech Biotechnology There are many reference books available for B.Tech Biotechnology students, but some of the popular ones are:
- Plants Physiology by D. Peter Snustad
- Developmental Biology by Scott F. Gilbert
- Cell Biology by Dr C.B.Powar
- Essential Immunology by Ivan M. Roitt
- Basic Ecology: Fundamentals of Ecology by Eugene P. Odum
- Genetics: Principles and Analysis by Elizabeth W. Jones
- Molecular Biology of the Cell by Peter Walter
Step 4: Understand what each book covers
- Plants Physiology: This book covers the physiological processes of plants such as photosynthesis, respiration, and transpiration.
- Developmental Biology: This book focuses on the growth and development of organisms from fertilization to adulthood.
- Cell Biology: This book covers the structure and function of cells, which are the building blocks of life.
- Essential Immunology: This book explains the immune system and its role in protecting the body from diseases.
- Basic Ecology: Fundamentals of Ecology: This book covers the interaction between organisms and their environment.
- Genetics: Principles and Analysis: This book covers the principles of genetics, including DNA structure, gene expression, and inheritance patterns.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell: This book covers the structure and function of cells at the molecular level, including DNA replication and protein synthesis.
Step 5: Decide which book(s) to use Depending on the topic, students may need to refer to one or more of these books. They can decide which book(s) to use based on their personal preference and the depth of information they need.
Step 6: Use the reference books effectively To use these books effectively, students can start by reading the relevant chapter(s) carefully and taking notes. They can also use the index or table of contents to quickly find the information they need. Additionally, they can discuss difficult concepts with their peers or teachers for better understanding.
Overall, reference books are an essential tool for B.Tech Biotechnology students, and these popular books can provide them with valuable knowledge and insights to help them succeed in their courses.
B Tech Biotechnology Entrance Exam Syllabus
|Feature||Merit-Based Admission||Entrance-Based Admission|
|Exam Pattern||Based on 12th Class Marks||Based on JEE Main Syllabus|
|Application Form||Filled Online||Filled Online|
|Compulsory Subjects||Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English||Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics|
|Exam Language||No Specific Language Requirement||Available in 13 languages (English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu)|
|Number of Sections||No Specific Number||Three – Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Exam Duration||No Specific Duration||3 hours|
|Sectional Time Limit||No Specific Time Limit||None|
|Total Marks||Based on 12th Class Marks||300 marks|
|Total Number of Questions||No Specific Number||90 questions|
|Number of Questions to Answer||No Specific Number||75 questions|
|Type of Questions||No Specific Type||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ); Numerical Answer Type Questions|
|Section-wise Number of Questions||No Specific Number||Physics- 20 MCQs and 10 numerical type, Chemistry- 20 MCQs and 10 numerical type, Mathematics- 20 MCQs and 10 numerical type|
|Section-wise Weightage||No Specific Weightage||Physics- 100 marks, Chemistry- 100 marks, Mathematics- 100 marks|
|Marking Scheme||Based on 12th Class Marks||+4 for each correct answer|
|Negative Marking||No Negative Marking||-1 for each incorrect answer|
You can also Read:
Explanation of terms and details:
- In this type of admission, the eligibility criteria is based on the candidate’s marks in the 12th class examination.
- Students are required to fill out the application form online to apply for merit-based admission.
- Compulsory subjects include Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English.
- In this type of admission, the eligibility criteria is based on the candidate’s performance in the JEE Main examination.
- The JEE Main syllabus is based on topics from Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics, with a weightage of 33.33% each.
- The JEE Main exam is conducted as a computer-based test, available in 13 languages including English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
- The exam consists of three sections – Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, with 20 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and 10 numerical type questions in each section, totaling to 90 questions.
- Students are required to answer 75 questions out of 90, with no sectional time limit.
- The marking scheme for the exam is +4 for each correct answer and -1 for each incorrect answer.
Overall, both merit-based and entrance-based admissions have their own eligibility criteria and examination pattern, and students can choose the one that suits them best.
|Syllabus of Btech in Biotechnology||Website PDF Link|
|Syllabus of Btech in Biotechnology PDF||Click Here|
|Syllabus of Btech in Biotechnology PDF||Click Here|
|Syllabus of Btech in Biotechnology PDF||Click Here|