Manners cost nothing but pay a lot Essay: ‘Small drops of water make great oceans.’
Long essay on etiquette, it costs nothing but it pays a lot, 500 words in english
Below we have given a long essay of 500 words on the cost of courtesy which is useful for class 7, 8, 9, and 10 and competitive exam aspirants. This long essay on the topic is suitable for class 7 to class 10 students and also for competitive exam aspirants.
A drop of water may seem insignificant in itself but collects one by one and a vast ocean is formed. What is an ocean except a collection of drops? Clouds are also like that, but on a rainy day they cover the whole sky.
The same is true about manners. You say ‘Please let me go’ in a crowded place and there the people in the crowd give way to you and in return you say ‘Thank you very much’. What have you lost or what did ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ cost you but you have won goodwill. You help an old man cross a busy road and he blesses you with all his heart. You didn’t know him, he didn’t know you, but your display of a little courtesy has gained you a store of blessings, and the blessings of elders matter a lot.
You are walking in a crowded market place and you step on someone’s foot. You immediately say ‘So sorry, did you get hurt?’ Though the man’s leg may be hurt but he will simply pat you on the shoulder and say, ‘No, nothing, young man’. What cost did you have to say ‘sorry’ but you won the other man’s goodwill?
Therefore, the smooth operation of social life runs only on mutual courtesy.
We call ourselves highly civilized. But being civilized does not mean living in luxurious bungalows and driving expensive cars, dancing in clubs and eating in hotels. Being civil means how you treat your fellow social creatures.
You read in the newspapers every day how a young man from a so-called high family shot dead a bar-maid for not giving him liquor after midnight, or how a young man out of spite kidnaps another young man and kills him. Such youth belonging to so-called ‘high families’ are hardly civilised, they are boorish and cruel. They don’t even have an elementary lesson in etiquette or proper conduct.
Live with love and act with care for others, which will make life worth living in society and make you a worthy member of it.
AG Gardiner – An English essayist writes in one of his essays ‘Please’ and ‘Thank you’ are like little drops of oil which help the machine of life to run smoothly. These small courtesies are like raindrops that light up the face of nature, the clouds ask nothing in return for what they do.
Students can find more english essay writing topics, ideas, easy tips for essay writing and many more.
- Small manners are like small drops of water to make up the vast ocean of social life.
- Be polite in dealing with people.
- Even people who are difficult to deal with can be softened through common courtesy.
- ‘Please’ and ‘thank you’ are short phrases that get an immediate positive response.
- Similarly, the word ‘sorry’ is also used when someone has been harmed unknowingly.
- Being polite means being polite.
- Big bungalows and big cars do not define being civilized.
- Even when you need to be tough on an issue or situation, you can still be polite.
- Mutual love, sympathy and respect make the society a worthy place to live in and make an individual a worthy citizen.
- Courtesy is free. It costs nothing, builds relationships, opens doors and connections, and helps both the giver and the receiver.
Essay on etiquette, it costs nothing but pays a lot, frequently asked questions
Courtesy is a polite remark or respectful act.
Manners are very important in life because when you are polite then people have a good impression about you and respect automatically comes instead of hatred. For those who want to progress in life, it is essential to learn manners.
Here are some ways you can show courtesy
- Show respect for others.
- Always apologize when you do something wrong.
- Do not interrupt when someone is talking.
- Let others know when you change your plans.
The definition of etiquette is the display of polite behavior and proper etiquette or a polite and socially appropriate act.